Thursday, January 24, 2008

More Waterfalls and Kitties!

Today I went on a really relaxing tour of Erawan Waterfalls, one of Thailand's most popular attractions, and then went to a tiger sanctuary and got to play with the big kitties.

The waterfalls were gorgeous, but a little difficult to climb. There are 7 tiers that make up the entire waterfall and it took about 1.5 hours to climb to the top. It wasn't easy as parts were a bit treacherous and poorly marked. Once I finally got to the top, I was able to swim in some of the pools and I also attempted to get my picture taken on a small waterfall. There were several Eastern Bloc chicks with model bodies doing it, so why not? Let me just say that posing on a rocky waterfall is harder than it looks and I should really learn what poses work for me because it looked completely ridiculous! Instead of relaxing and sensual, it turned out that I looked like a tomboy who looked constipated. Tyra would not be happy with my photo, but hopefully she would believe in me enough to send me to the next round in hope's of becoming America's Next Top Model.

After lunch I joined up with 8 or so students for a trip to the tiger sanctuary. I got several pics with the tigers and I can't believe how relaxed the handlers were about henging out with several tigers, with only 1 tether around their neck! Holy crap! I nuzzled up to a tiger cub (new foster kitty please?) and petted some adults who couldn't care less about my presence. I was initially torn about going to the tiger santuary because some people think the tigers are being exploited, but the grounds were nice and the handlers informative so I'd like to believe they are happy and safe in this environment as opposed to being in the wild and killed by poachers.

Tonight is dinner and early to bed as I need to get up early to catch 2 short buses to Ayutthera to tour the old capital of Thailand and then, hopefully, get the overnight train to Chang Mai. While on the train I need to make some decisions on where I want to go next. I want to visit the islands (duh) but maybe should concentrate on only 4 or 5 so I'm not traveling the whole time and I also need to decide if I should fly or take the train/bus combo. Don't you wish you had this problem right now?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are they choking that tiger you're petting? They'd have to tranqualize both me and the tiger in order for me to get that close. Just a matter of time before they go Seigfried and Roy on someone's a$$.

Eastern Bloc chics with model bodies... And there pics are posted where??

cmoore said...

Ol' Nels really got you ready to get up close and personal with a tiger, eh?

Katie Kupec said...

Love the pics! How often do you get to a tiger?????????? Hey, send some money home and I'll come join ya.....:) Love you and call when your phone works!

Katie Kupec said...

Ummmmm, my comment is SUPPOSED to say "pet a tiger..." Hey, some people have had long days at work....

Unknown said...

That is really amazing! I'd though having my picture taken with a Stingray in Jamiaca was cool - ha - seems like small fries to a tiger!