Yesterday was pretty quiet as I spent the morning on two buses to get to Ayutthaya, the ancient capital of Thailand before Bangkok was built. The bus rides were fairly comfortable, no AC, but it was cloudy and not hot so the bus wasn't an oven. We took the scenic route to Ayutthaya and it was so lovely, green rice paddies, palm trees and mountains in the background. I didn't get too many pics from the bus since the windows where filthy.
I sat next to an older man and he pointed at things for me to look at out the window. I would smile and nod and he just said, "America?" and I nodded yes and he smiled. I gave him a mint and he curiously took and his eyes lit up when he put it in his mouth and we both had a laugh over it.
Once in Ayutthaya, I proceeded to the train station to book the overnight train to Chang Mai, about 12 hours away. It saves travel time and I don't have to pay
for a night's stay anywhere. I was warned that it would be sold out since it is a polular route so I crossed my fingers and asked for the ticket. I was teh last freakin' one, can you believe that? I was immediately relieved and proceeded to head across the river to the main part of the city. I had some spicy papaya salad for lunch al fresco and then rented a bike to ride to the different sights. The ruins were nice, but the best part of the day was going to this tiny ice cream shop for green tea ice cream. It was run by this sweet Thai man and we talked for over 2 hours about his travels through Thailand, were I should go, some history of Thailand and he helped me converse a bit in Thai, which I'm still woefully bad at.
After I left I went back to the station and caught my train and it
was nice! I opted for a 2nd class seat that reclined a bit as oppossed to a sleeper seat to save some dough. I was even served a small dinner consisting of a apple turnover and coissant with crab stick with some orange juice. I got breakfast too! I was able to see the sun rise up over the mountains in the morning and it was perfect. Not a bad way to travel.
PS - my phone works again, but I can't text or receive incoming calls, I'll only get a notification of VM. It's better than nothing!
I sat next to an older man and he pointed at things for me to look at out the window. I would smile and nod and he just said, "America?" and I nodded yes and he smiled. I gave him a mint and he curiously took and his eyes lit up when he put it in his mouth and we both had a laugh over it.
Once in Ayutthaya, I proceeded to the train station to book the overnight train to Chang Mai, about 12 hours away. It saves travel time and I don't have to pay
After I left I went back to the station and caught my train and it
PS - my phone works again, but I can't text or receive incoming calls, I'll only get a notification of VM. It's better than nothing!
1 comment:
Danielle forwarded me your blog. Thailand is a beautiful place once you get out of Bangkok. I love Chang Mai and all the temples. Are you going to make it down to Phuket? If so remember to look up my freind Nico. I will be leaving in 2 weeks for Phuket. I cant wait.
Scott McCollum
Post a Comment