Bangkok is getting a bit easier for me with each passing day, but I still don't think it's gonna end up on any favorites list. I took a bike tour yesterday in the afternoon sun (smart, I know) and was able to see a lot of the city and sights in one fell swoop. It's a huge, spawling place,
filled with large roads, small back streets and tons of people. While riding around, people definately took notice that I was a white foreigner and when children would see me they would start yelling 'Hello!, Hello! Hello!' and I would then wave back and say hello to them and they would giggle and then yell 'Bye!" Very cute. On the downside, Bangkok is very slummy, with the majority of the people living in cramped rundown shacks next to impossibly polluted canals. Don't get me wrong, there are some very beautiful places, but as one of the people on my tour pointed out, "How can the Thai people be capable of creating such beautiful wats and other buildings, but live in the most run down of cities?" Touche, my friend. We stopped at Wat Arun and Wat Suthat for some pics. As you will see from the slideshow, the buildings are impressive and intricately detailed. When you enter the inside of the wat, the first thing you see is the giant bronze Buddha and it feels like it's gaze is fixated right on you! At Wat Arun, I climbed up the side and took pics from its amazing vantage point. It was slightly scary as my fear of heights kicked in and I thought I was going to tumble down the side of it!
Today is mu last full day in Bangkok and I'm excited to move on to Kanchanaburi tomorrow. I need to get away from all these people and find some peace and quiet! I'll be securing transportation today, visiting the Royal Palace, and doing some last minute shopping on the street. The knockoffs sold on the street are amazing! I'm going to haggle for some Diesel jeans and maybe a purse for my sister before I head out of here. The best part about buying knockoff clothing for a winger like me is that everything is sized shorter and a bit smaller than elsewhere! Yay!I also need to find a post office or maybe wait until Chang Mai in a few days to mail some things home. I overpacked a bit and made a pile of stuff that needs to go home. I know I should've done this before I left, but oh well!I wanted to add captions to the photos, but time is tight, sorry.
No comments:
Post a Comment