After a short bus ride to Kanchanaburi to the North, I arrive at my guesthouse where a room to myself with a fan is about $2.50 a night and I soon realized why it was so cheap. Fan only and the shared bathroom only had cold water. No big deal, I'll rough if for a bit. The guesthouse has a huge garden and lawn for reading, sunbathing or general lounging about and the views of the River Kwai are awesome! I grabbed some curry for lunch and then headed out.I visited the Death Railway museum and the Kanchuraburi War Cemetary where over 6,000
Brits, Aussies, and Dutch are buried after perishing as Japanese POWs forced to build the Burma - Thailand Railway during WWII. Why was this not covered in greater detail in my history classes? Just like the Holocaust, only in the Pacific - so terrible to see the value of a man's life held so cheaply. It was incredibly powerful and sad, I highly recommend learning about it for yourself. The grave markers had the most heartbreaking sentiments from loved ones and it became overwhelming. So sorry to bring you all down...The rest of the day was spent reflecting at the river, doing crosswords before having dinner and booking some excursions for the next few days. More awesome curry, but a word of advice when ordering dishes that can be mild, medium or hot - order mild first because I thought medium would be fine and it almost blew off my face! Christ, the hot version probably requires a flame retardent suit to eat it. Just a warning kids :)
No comments:
Post a Comment