Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Let's Talk Food

Before I left Philly, I decided to indulge in any food I wanted in the hopes of adding a few pounds to my frame after working out like a fiend for the previous 9 months to trim off some excess pounds and add some muscle. I thought, "I'll probably lose weight when I'm traveling because I won't like the food, I may get sick, I'll be really active, etc." Uh, nothing could be farther from the truth! I think I've gained a few more pounds since I've been here! The food is extraordinary, from the street vendors to the tiny little cafes, food is everywhere and it is all good! I told myself that I would eat like the locals in whatever country I was in and not be tempted to seek out "American" fare because I was being a chicken. I've eaten a lot of curries, stuffed Thai omelets (run to your closest Thai establishment and order one - you can thank me later), fruit shakes, and many types of tea. This is just the tip of the iceberg too!

To continue my food education, I signed up for a Thai cooking class at a organic farm outside of Chang Mai. Before we arrived we stopped at a local Thai farmers market to get an education on different types of rice, cooking oils and spices and we were then allowed to roam around checking things out. Once we arrived, we received a tour of the farm and were introduced to the various herbs and produce out on the grounds, fresh from the earth. The fragrance of the curry ingredients defy words, it all smelled so fresh and clean. We then proceeded to make whatever dishes we wanted out of several choices and I chose red curry, chicken and basil stir fry, tom yam kung soup, spring rolls, and mango and coconut sticky rice. Pounding my own curry paste was a treat! It was the best smelling curry ever. After cooking the first 3 dishes, we stopped for lunch and indulged in our creations and I have to say that my curry was outstanding! (Mac - I'd like to suggest 'Thai Fest' for when I return). After lunch we made spring rolls and dessert, mango with coconut sticky rice, which I had to take with me cuz I was still stuffed from lunch.
Overall, it was a very informative and enlightening experience and I learned a lot, not only about making Thai food, but about the process of making food and how it's a labor of love and shouldn't be rushed - you live to eat, not merely eat to live. I agree completely :)

Next Post: my full report on the only cheesesteak you can get in Thailand...

3 comments:

cmoore said...

NOW I'm jealous. I want you to teach me about rice! It's one of the three things I absolutely botch in the kitchen. I hope you took good (mental?) notes!

Unknown said...

wow! you cooked once for me in college and it was sloppy joes! glad to see that you've been learning new things, I can't wait for you to cook for me again! :)

Anonymous said...

yeah for Fick learning how to make Thai food!!!! I cant wait to hear about it .....