explained the design of Canberra allows you to get anywhere in 20 minutes of less...by car. Yup, it's a car or bike city, too much ground to cover for walking unless you are going to stay in a specific area. Parliament House isn't much to look at at first either. It reminded me of those arcade games with the claw that you use to try to grab a toy or something. Yup, it looks like a claw! We didn't have time to go on an official tour of it, maybe next time. To tell you the truth, I was disappointed when I first saw it. It just seemed so suburban and to me that equals death practically. Even Harrisburg looked more lively that Canberra. now I understand why people made such a
funny face at me whenever I would tell them I was going to Canberra for a week. Still, I was determined to keep an open mind. After all, it was Sean's hometown, so I was sure there was an appeal there I just didn't see yet. Well, after a few days of driving around and I became more familiar with Canberra, the more I started to enjoy it and to see the appeal to it's residents. It was easy to drive around (no traffic hardly) and since it was spread out there were tons of nice parks and open spaces for people to use. The cafes and restaurants were all excellent and more upmarket than I would have thought and the shopping was quite upscale as well. It had all the amenities of a city, just without the city part!
Sidebar - I saw my first kangaroo in the wild while driving somewhere. Too bad it was dead on the side of the road...but I eventually saw some live ones in a park! Just hanging out! I saw a joey moving around in his mom's pouch, but the little bastard wouldn't make an appearance.
No comments:
Post a Comment