Sunday, March 16, 2008

20 Questions

It's more like 3 questions, actually. Along my journey, I'm constantly meeting people from all over; England, Germany, Sweden, Japan, France, etc, and you always start with the same questions when you first meet. "What is your name?" and "Where are you from?" are always the first two questions you get or ask of someone and it's usually enough to get the ball rolling. For me, when I've revealed I'm American, 8 times out of 10, the next question I'm going to get is...

Hillary or Obama?

No joke! Even the local Thai people, who only spoke minimal English, were able to ask and everyone is curious to my opinion. It's really crazy how informed non-Americans are about our politics and it's somewhat embarrassing that I haven't been keeping up with everything and don't have my own opinion formed yet. One English friend commented to me, "Can you guys just vote already?!? I'm tired of hearing about it on the BBC every night!" The world is watching this election so closely. One thing is universal - people are ready to oust Dubya and get someone, anyone, in the White House to patch things up and make America great again. The US gov't has lost so much respect in the world, but let me clarify something. People love Americans for the most part, they just can't stand the gov't. Really. I get picked on for saying funny things or for things our country does at on a whole, but I've never met anyone outwardly hostile to me because I was American. I think if you present yourself in a respectful manner, don't act like a royal jackass, and are not socially retarded, then you have done a decent job representing your country, whichever one that is, and right now the USA gov't needs all the positive press it can get!


Who are you voting for?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're saying it wasn't the American in me that people hated when I was overseas? Hmmm...

cmoore said...

Where are you? I find it humorous that you updated more in bumblefuck Asia than in presumably urban Australia...

Fick said...

Sorry about the lack of posting, it's just hard to do when you are hanging with other people! You don't want to be the 'lame girl' that has to go home early to blog. Miss you!