Saturday, March 15, 2008

Freakin' Finally

So after Bryon Bay, I boarded an overnight bus for Sydney to meet up with Sean. After 13 uncomfortable hours, I finally arrived! We came into Sydney on the Pacific Highway, which led to the Harbour Bridge and a spectacular view of the skyline, harbour and opera house. OK, I'm impressed. I meet up with Sean and we make our way to his brother's (Anthony) place in the Surrey Hills suburb. I know what your thinking, why am I staying in the 'burbs? No worries, I thought that too, except in Oz, they call sections of the city 'suburbs', so we weren't out in bumblefuck. Crisis averted! Anthony gave up his bed for Sean and I so we had our own room for a few days - YES! I was a bit nervous at first about not staying in the city center, but Surry Hills was much closer than I originally thought. Surrey Hills is almost like Northern Libs in Philly. A short train ride to the middle of town, great pubs, a unique sense of style and 8 million places to get brunch on Sundays.

Once we arrived at Anthony's apartment, we decided to go hang out at Bondi Beach for the afternoon, whee! It was a Saturday so it was guaranteed to be swamped with locals, tourists and maybe a celeb or two. I admit I was hoping that Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) would be there, showing off his hotness, but no dice. Now, some people tried to tell me that Bondi was cheesy and kinda dirty and not worth visiting. Once I got there I was relieved to see a gorgeous beach, clear water with terrific waves, and shops/cafes galore - not the shithole that was described to me earlier! Sometimes I wonder if the people I talk to are touring the same country as me. Anyhoo, we frolicked, ate some sushi in the park and went back to Surrey Hills for some relaxing. I was still tired from my bus ride, so no use in pushing it...

Or not. Being a Saturday night, Anthony and his roommate Zac were keen to go out so I revived and put on my best flip flips for a night out. First we headed to Chinatown for dinner with his Mom, Maree, and his Aunt Liddy. First time meeting Mom! A bit nervewracking, but I made it through with flying colors. Afterwards, we headed for none other than the ritzy Opera Bar at the foot of the Opera House! I was woefully underdressed in a t-shirt, jeans and flippies, while the rest of the crowd was definitely more upmarket and by upmarket I mean dresses and expensive shoes. Shoes that cost more than my rent. It was a beautiful bar, with equally beautiful scenery (hello, harbour bridge and opera house!), but where was Sydney's version of the 'D? That's more my speed. Sean and I left after one drink, not because it wasn't fun, but because I just didn't have enough energy to stand outside and be fierce. Sorry Tyra! We found a pub playing some rugby and sank into some couches and downed a few pints and caught up some more. Ahhhhhh...a perfect way to end my first day in Sydney!

No comments: