Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sending Myself to the Poor House?

Many people have politely inquired as to how I am financing such an extended vacation. I'm more than happy to tell you, without divulging the actual numbers. First of all, I've been squirreling money away for years in the hopes of purchasing a home. Up until this year, the housing market in Philly was out of control with prices at all-time highs for even the most craptacular rowhome. Now that prices are coming down and are predicted to do so for a while, I can put off buying a home for another year.

Secondly, I picked up a catering job through one of my teammates so I work parties and events as a server. The pay is decent, but it's sometimes rally hard work being on your feet all night. I also figure model for a local artist on Monday nights in Jersey. It doesn't leave much room for free time, but I'm positive it will be worth it.

Thirdly, I also just finished a medical study and I will let you know it was for $1200. Thank the Dark Lord I qualified and was able to get through the whole thing! I've also donated bone marrow and did a taste percetion study. $100 here, $50 there may not sound impressive to some people, but when 3 of the countries you are visiting can be toured for $15 a day, those little payments start to add up.

Now, I'm not going to blow all my savings on this trip or max out my credit card because that would be dumb. I also enjoy finanical security and I would be a wreck if I allowed myself to do that. If I even put $35 on my credit card I have to pay it off at the end of the month or I'm spastic! I'm leaving a cushion in the savings for my return and filing my taxes when I get back so i'm not returning to nothing. Sure, I may come home with some debt, but after crunching some numbers, it won't be insurmountable and can be paid off in a few short months with the money from my 2nd and 3rd jobs.

Upon my return, I'll be living fairly low key for a while so my main priorities will be to pay off any outstanding debt from the trip, pay off my student loans (just because I hate them so much), and restoring the savings fund to it's pre-trip status. It's a fairly aggressive plan, but one I can live with.

Sadly, rugby had to be put on hold this season so save on travel costs, dues, etc. I AM happy that I will be back in time for the 7s season, the most magical time of the year for this #14!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

funny to hear to talk about 7s like that... I remember the days after college when I'd see you drinking beer under a tent at 7s tournaments because it wasn't your game and 15s was... definately funny for this prop to hear as she's fighting to keep up with backs in that heat... ;)