Wednesday, December 26, 2007

CANCELLED: Indonesia

It is with great relunctance that I need to cancel the Indonesian portion on my trip. It was a short 10 day venture that will now get split between Malaysia and Australia. The reason? Weather. While researching a trip to Krakatoa I noticed the peak time for a visit was between April and October since the other months are part of the rainy season. Hmmm, interesting. That sounded odd so I looked up the weather for Thailand and Malaysia and it looks good for visits here in January and February (it stays pretty constant all year long), so naturally I assumed the weather in Indonesia would be similar. Not so much. After doing some more reading on the weather, most people recommended traveling during the dry season from April to October, as transport issues arise due to flooding and mud and health hazards (malarial outbreaks) also make it a less than desirous time to travel through most of Indonesia. One person said the rainy season doesn't effect things too much, but the beaches, dive spots and surf points can't be used, so what's the point? I don't mind a bit of rain as it's probably unavoidable at some point in a tropical environment, but I can't chance it raining all day/night for 10 days. Along with the fact that it would be miserable, creepy, crawly things come out during the rain. Ewwwwww.What did we learn today kids? Check the weather for each place you are visiting to ensure it is appropriate to travel. Excuse me while I call Qantas to change my flight...

No comments: