Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Worst Thing That Can Happen in the Universe

As I was getting ready to head out to Colorado Springs for my flight back to Philly, I got a call from the bike shop. There were packing up my bike for the flight home and needed to show me something. The mechanic looked grave as I was led to my bike and told "there is a crack in the frame." WHAT?!? Sure enough right there where the top tube meets the head tube was a small crack. I had noticed the paint chipping in this same spot, but thought it was just wear and tear. Then I realized it was probably from my wreck a few weeks ago and has been getting bigger ever since. OK, OK, can it be fixed? I'm told no as I hold back tears. Not ridable unless I want it to completely break and splatter myself all over the road. I just flew down a mountain pass at 40 mph right before I brought this in. I want to puke so bad at this point.

This is the worst thing that could happen. I'm devastated. Busted wheel and now this. I have no other bike for training and the cost of replacing the frame is going to be crazy. I don't even have money to replace the damn thing (hello Raman noodles). If I can't get a replacement soon, I might not be able to race this fall :((((( All the hard work, early mornings, nights at the gym, coaching, all of it is a waste if I can't get this remedied. Who knew I was so emotionally attached to my bike?

No comments: