Monday, August 9, 2010

MTBing on Monarch Crest Trail

Bicycle Magazine called this ride one of the top 5 in the USA and rightfully so. I haven't even done 10 MTB rides yet,but I can see why this trail earns this honor.

I was originally slated to ride with Jamie, one of Lisa's friends, but her work schedule got in the way and she wasn't available. With multiple people telling me I would be stupid to be so close to this particular trail and not ride it, I chose to have a guided ride from Absolute Bikes, where I've been getting all my bike needs met during my trip. Yes, I could have gotten a trail map and went off on my own, but I don't need by myself in the Colorado wilderness.

The Monarch Crest ride is a segment of the Continental Divide Trail (CDT), a 3,100-mile shared-use route from Canada to Mexico. The Monarch Crest segment offers more than 30 miles of trails and incredible mountain scenery. Commonly done as shuttle ride with a few thousand feet of climbing and more than 6,000 feet of fun, non-technical descending, depending on which route you take.

I headed out with my guide Shawn, a Specialized Safire Elite full suspension MTB (sah-weeet) and we drove up to the drop off point. The day began with a "gentle climb" for a little ways that left my lungs gasping for air. The altitude coupled with a tough climb in the beginning without really being warmed up was difficult. From the beginning the views were nothing less than spectacular. There was a good variety of terrain, but it was mostly singletrack with some techical downhill sections (I almost died), some rocky sections (need to learn not to panic when my wheels slide) and then a lot of fast, up and down, dodging rocks sort of sections. I am so glad I chose a full suspension bike with gears - I would still be up there on my SS and my arms would be broken.

All in all we rode close to 40 miles (Jesus H. Christ)and I'm ruined for MTBing in PA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to be a total snob, but I don't know that "mountain" biking is truly possible in PA...