7:07am - Getting ready in bedroom for work and hear first of many of celebratory horn honking. And so it begins...
7:30am - people already lining up on Broad Street. Trying to wake up. Jealous of people with beers. And days off work.
9:10am - crowds completely line Market Street. I'm frantically trying to meet a deadline (fuck!). All stands are filled at City Hall. People already pouring out from Suburban Station.
9:16am - email from 2 coworkers, unable to get into work. due to high capacity SEPTA regional rail trains, stations are passed numerous times filled to the gills with Phils fans. Gee, would it kill you SEPTA to plan ahead a bit?
9:35am - go downstairs to get breakfast and notice a lot of kids aren't in school. A lot of out of towners are also milling around, judging by the slow walk and upward gazing stare at everything.
10:00am - beeping, cheering is almost at a constant pitch from my cube. Thankful I have a window seat!
10:15am - fog horns start - groan.
10:20am - fans are lined up at least 3 or 4 deep. How are people going to have a voice left for the actual parade? I'd like to add that people are cheering for anything at this point, even the guy selling hot dogs down the street.
10:30am - leave cube to scope out appropriate partners offices for better vantage point to watch parade. Grab coffee and continue effort to stay awake.
10:50am - sidewalks almost impassible, cross streets to Market closed. Hope you didn't park your car on 17th street cuz a bunch of peeps are using it as bleacher seating.
11:00am - SEPTA announces to all passengers that they best forget about using the train today, better hoof it into the city. Way to think ahead SEPTA!
11:26am - cheering at a fevered pitch, no way you are getting a spot if you aren't there now! So packed, looks like Fat Tuesday on Bourbon Street. Crowds lined up halfway down cross streets. How the hell can anyone beyond 5 rows see anything?
11:40am - Firm is closing at 3pm! Wahoo! This means I'm leaving at 1pm because we also have a two hour lunch today so I'll be home early!
11:56am - gather in empty partner's office and await start. Its a bit far up, but better than being 300 rows back!
12:20pm - Just informed that crossing Broad is impossible, contemplating new route home, possibly underground City Hall.
12:31pm - parade starts! The noise is at crescendo level.
12:45pm - return to cube, watch video taken by coworker on the street. Start upload to You Tube. Ignore calls from users.
1:51 - still at work, but at least it's quiet! Rendered more video footage and pics from fellow IS coworker.
Here it is!
The Phanatic!
The view from the front of One Liberty Place! (Video credit: Matthew Hartel)
The entire parade, in all its glory! Starts at 2:00 (sorry, no time to edit)
2:33pm - finally home and I park it on the couch and turn on some Channel Six to watch the coverage from the stadiums. This is THE biggest event to have ever hit Philly, at least in my 8 years here and I can honestly say that it rivals Mardi Gras and the Mummer's Parade combined. Who ever would have guessed that after traveling abroad for 4 months this year, the most exciting thing I've ever witnessed would take place right here in Philly?
Photo credits: Matthew Hartel
Video Credits: Dan Brown (except where noted)
1 comment:
After reading this (great post, btw), I'm now unbelievably upset I didn't play hooky for a bit and go watch. I heard all the ruckus from my house!
Post a Comment