Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rainy Days = Beer Days

We woke up Tuesday to raw temps and steady rain so that was a bit of a bummer. I slept in way too long, partially due to some overindulgence the night before, and got dressed to go do some stuff. I was not prepared for the weather with any type of rain coat, so I had to just suck it up and wander about town with only my hoodie to protect me. Since it was so crappy out, we decided to head on over the the Heineken Experience and the site of the old Heineken brewery. Now, Heineken has never been my favorite beer, but perhaps it tastes better over here than back home so I wanted to give it a shot.

The Heineken Experience wasn't necessarily like touring an actual brewery, but it did give a thorough history and explain the brewing process using slick visual displays, short films, and old relics from the old brewery. We hit up the tasting room for our free beers and I thing was certain - I still intensely dislike Heineken, not matter where the shit is brewed!

We ducked out of the rain into a coffeeshop for a nice cup of tea and whatnot. After a while, we emerged and on our travels we see a sign for a Torture Meseum so we head on over to that. For some macabre reason, human suffering, torture, genocide, etc fascinate me, mainly because it seems so far fetched to me that people could ever invent and fascilitate these things without thinking anything is wrong with it, but I digress. Trav and I saw some really heineous torture dvices like the rack and an iron maiden. I realized that if I would ever be tortured, I would spill my guts about anything and it was pointed out later by a guy in our hostel that I would make a terrible spy, which makes me sad because that is my dream job (or jewel thief).

Since the rest of the day was pretty unsuitable for anything else besides bar hopping and whatnot, we continued to do this. We ate Argentinian tapas for dinner before heading back to the hostel bar, which kept us in chatting it up with other travelers for the remainder of the night.

1 comment:

cmoore said...

OMG you live on Jeweler's Row! Live. The. Dream.