Today Travis and I parted ways, her to ride a bike into the burbs and/or country to see if she could find a real life Dutch windmill and me to do some more museum stuff.
Travis: Biking the burbs was not nearly as intimidating as biking the city. There is no grid format however and I somehow found myself off my chosen path and even off my map and had to stop to pick up an entire city map to find my way back. Due to that detour I didn't get to find a windmill, saving that for next time. did some shopping on sat and afterwards I went to get some cash out of the ATM...it would only let me take out $50. My last $50 on our last nite, couldn't have planned it better. We did some downtime with packing at the hotel and off for our last nite in Amsterdam. Conveniently we ended up at a little square with a whole bunch of bar-restaurants with outdoor seating. We found an Aussie bar that was playing rugby (that is how we started our trip in Scotland watching rugby in an Aussie bar), PERFECT. Watching rugby outside in Amsterdam, couldn't get any better. We had a rotating group of guys that were stopping by the table chatting us up and in the end it was our friend Simon from South Africa who we ended up spending most of the nite chatting with and hardly watched the rugby games. We decided it was time to go, asked for our check, I had my last $25 out and ready to hand them over when Simon grabs the bill and pays for our last nite in Amsterdam! How nice, couldn't have ended a better way.
Fick - I spent the day in the Jewish Quarter touring Rembrandt's house and the Dutch Resistance Museum. I would whole heartedly recommend this museum as opposed to the Anne Frank House if the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands is of any interest to you. Rembrandt's house was cute and charming and they also had a nice exhibit by one of his students, Jans Leivens, which was as impressive as anything Rembrandt has done. I finished up the day by taking more pics in Grachtengordel section of the city since it was sunny, which includes the Red Light District, but no I don't have pics of any hookers. I must say that the quality of ladies in the windows get remarkably better as the day progresses. I'm pretty sure some would need to pay others for their services as they were a bit, um long in the tooth? Figuratively and in some cases, literally.
No comments:
Post a Comment