Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Amsterdam Arrival

After a fairly uneventful plane ride, arrived in Amsterdam! The skies were sunny, it was warm and everything was just as I imagined. We quickly located our hostel in the midst of the Red Light District, dumped our gear, and headed out to enjoy the rest of the afternoon. We mainly just wandered from bar to bar, hit up a coffeeshop and got to know the immediate vicinity.

Even thought almost everyone here speaks English, I wish I would have picked up some Dutch or at least brush up on my German (they are sorta similar) so I could read a lot of things. Most signs are posted in English as well as Dutch, but we had to translate an entire menu at a tearoom and hope we got what we think we ordered. Also, all the streets have really long names that I can't begin to pronounce so explaining to Travis where we are is challenging and then I have to be a dork and whip out the map to show her. Also, Travis almost killed herself trying to change the Internet on her laptop to display English since everything comes up in Dutch.

Everybody here is really tall, or at least much taller than Americans and they all dress very well. Very stylish and everyone can be a model. I hate the Dutch. I'm surprised at the amount of Americans we've run into. They are everywhere, which shouldn't be surprising since it's not like Amsterdam is terribly far away, but I hardly encountered any last year on the other side of the world so it's strange. There was even a group from Philly in our dorm room for the first night at the hostel, so weird! I mean, there are tons of nationalities here as well, but the amount of Americans was shocking, to me at least.

After many, many beers and another coffeeshop stop, we retire for the evening only to be kept awake that night by some dude with the worst snoring ever. If you've ever heard anyone with sleep apnea snore, this was 100 times worst. I was concerned for him because if Travis' sleep was ruined then she was going to be homicidal, but luckily I nudged him awake because I too was getting annoyed and then fell back into blissful sleep.

Yay Amsterdam!

No comments: