Sunday, February 3, 2008

Work, Work, Work...Kinda

Hi there! Sorry I've been a little late with updates on my trip. Since last Wednesday I've been in Ko Tao and I've spent the last 3 days taking PADI scuba certifiction classes so haven't had a lot of time to explore the rest of the island.. Actually yesterday was spent with a mild hangover and me doing nothing all day except eating and reading. Ahhhh.

The diving classes were kinda intense - there is just so much you need to know and be proficient with in order to dive safely and you know, not die. It was me and an English couple, Rob and Kirsty, with me in my class and our instructor was Tony from Montreal. Kirsty didn't finish so it was only me and Rob to complete the classes and it was so nice only have us in the water with our instructor. The mornings were spent in class watching videos and reviewing material. It's not as bad as it sounds as it was near the beach so it wasn't like I was in a regular classroom by any means. The first afternoon was spent underwater in really shallow water practicing skills like removing my regulator (the thing you breathe from) and recovering it, mask removal, buoyancy and also learning how to assemble all the equipment and get it on. Walking around a boat deck with a full cylinder of air is HARD. I'm not so good with compasses.

The next 2 afternoons consisted of 4 total dives of about 40 minutes each where we had to perform more skills and then we got to check out the coral reefs and watch all the fishies swimming around. So amazing. I saw angelfish, clown fish, triggerfish, bannerfish, a blue spotted stingray, and so many other things - there was just so much life around us. I wish I was able to have a camera with me! I unfortunately don't have pics of me in my gear, but I'll get some when I go diving Australia or Malaysia. I'm also thinking about taking an underwater photography course so I can gets pics of all the cool stuff.

Along with my level 1 hang-gliding certificaton, I am now able to properly explore the world from land, air and water. I can't wait to go diving again!

No comments: