Sorry I haven't blogged in a while. I arrived in Ko Lanta a few days ago and the Internet has been spotty or down most of the time I've been here and I just got a decent connection for blogging purposes.
I'm in Ko Lanta right now and this will be my last stop before I leave Thailand for Malaysia on Friday. I'm staying at a family run place on the beach along with about 14 other travelers and hippies. The family that runs this place is just great, very proud of everything and helpful with anything. There are hammocks everywhere, a
small beach bar, and they cook a communal dinner every nigh for all the guests if you wants to eat there. Absolutely so relaxed. It doesn't feel touristy at all and I really enjoy trying to converse in Thai with everyone and they in turn like teaching me new things and asking about me and where I'm from.
While here I met a young English couple named Annie & Paddy and we've been good friends since we arrived at the same time. We go to dinner and have drinks at night. The other night we probably had a bit too much to drink and decided to get a 'Bucket of Joy' with contained Songsom whiskey (or rum?), 2 cans of Coke and a can of Red Bull mixed in a bucket with several straws for communal sharing. It was awesome, but it also gave Annie and me a mild hangover the next day. Whatever, it was fun to really cut loose!
I've mostly been spending the days eating, reading in my hammock (Mancini - I just read "Not Without My Daughter"!) and cooling off with quick dips in the ocean. Throw
a few beers in there and you have my life for the past few days. Today I decided to go diving, since I think I was rested enough. I went on 2 dives at this enearby ilsand call Ko Haa and it was really amazing, as is most of the diving in Thailand, BUT the most incredible thinng happen while on the 2nd dive. I was in a group of 4 people and I was buddied with the dive master when she started banging on her tank and swimming ahead of me kinda fast. I though it was weird becasue you are supposed to take it easy while swimming, but as I swam after her I saw whtat she was banging about: a 30 foot whale shark was right in front of us on the left and swimming to our right and we could clearly see it! They aren't too common to see on dives as it was my divemasters 800th or so dive and it was only the 2nd one she's seen so I feel sooooo lucky to have seen it! It was breathtaking, I know I squealed like a little bitch when I saw it. I have the video so I will show you all when I get back.
Tonight will be drinks at sunset and then some dinner with Annie and Paddy as they are leaving tomorrow. I'll be kinda sad to see them go, they are so much fun! Will someone please have a Lager for me back home? The Singha is good, but nothing can replace Lager.
2 comments:
angie, i just saw your new post....hey captin obvious here just figured out that i can comment on this blog thingy, seriously i've been checking your blog faithfully and just figured it out...i'm so so silly....keep up the awesome blogging I'm seriously enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!!
Not without my Fick!
Post a Comment