Friday, December 4, 2009

Holiday Light Run

The first round of really frigid weather is here so what do I decide to do? Go running around South Philly in 20 temps looking at Xmas light displays. Who am I to pass up a chance to witness the tacky that is South Philly? Janine asked if I wanted to go a week or so prior (when the weather was a touch warmer) and I said sure. I mean, I never run outside on pavement or in the cold and I hate running so sure, why not?
After donning my Under Armour, I head out to the meeting point where members of the South Philly Striders are teaming up with the Fishtown Beer Runners for a leisurely run. I was surprised over 40, maybe even 50 runners came out for the run! We tied some jungle bells onto our shoes and promptly started the run, mainly to get warm. Some peeps took off, but most stayed at the leisurely pace, chatting and oohing and ahhing over the lights. The group broke off and there was a point you could go back to the bar or keep going for the longer run. I didn't want to look like a wimp so I kept going. Doh.

After about 6 miles and a fair amount of pain in my knees, we arrived at For Pete's Sake for some warmth and beers. My body was officially hatin' on me and was wondering why I a) didn't stretch and b) why I don't run outside more often. Also, where the hell were all the nativity scenes? I didn't get a photo of me and baby Jesus!

No comments: