Friday, November 16, 2007

Work, the Necessary Evil

Many people have asked me, "Fick, what the hell are you doing about your job?" When I first started planning this trip in my mind, I just assumed I would have to quick work and then scrounge for some job(s) when I got back home. The prospect was a bit nerve-wracking, but I was fully committed to doing that so I can go abroad. I mean, when your firm marks you late for arriving at 9:03am, you don't expect them to be too accomodating do you?

I started writing a proposal for my leave of absence after consulting the firm's employment policies regarding unpaid leave and I was well within my right to at least ask for a leave of absence. Then one day I just said, "screw it, here goes" and walked into my boss' office and closed the door behind me. For a second, Dan (boss) had a look on his face like "oh shit, she's quitting". Not that I'm the glue that hold the department together by any means, but still. I told him I wanted to take 3-4 months time for travel in 2008. After the initial shock wore off of him, he responded by telling me it's a great idea and he understands my motivations for doing so. I would need to submit a short memo detailing my leave/return dates and reasons for going incase any of the partners wonder why they let me go. My leave also needs to be approved by the Executive Director and HR and I'm sure there are papers to sign and all that stuff. Christ, that was easy!

I'm still bowled over about how supportive my boss is being regarding my leave of absence. It really helps to be able to have a stable job to return to when I get back. I think it will also help me settle back into 'normal' life much faster and knowing I have steady income again will keep me stress free (which makes everyone around me happy).

Still waiting for the super supremo final word, but everything looks good at this point!

No comments: