I am officially retired from competitive rugby. My first week of retirement is in the books.
I'm totally serious this time, I really mean it. Well, maybe some 7s here or there or whore myself out to a team at Pumpkinfest, but really, I'm done. I feel a mixture of sadness with relief if that makes any sense. You know all those things you say you are going to do "once rugby's over?" I'm gonna go do them, for reals. Cycling, hiking, camping, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, etc - you get the picture. I'm so excited at the prospect of doing different shit this winter and beyond! My rugby routine went on for well over a decade so I'm more than ready to take on some different challenges for myself.
As I mentioned before , I am going to try my hand at cyclocross. I've been acquiring some gear, gathering advice, attending races and just gorging myself on as much information about the sport as possible. It's so weird being a rookie again and having to start from scratch, but I love the feeling and it feels great to be passionate about something again. I'm like a little kid with her first big girl bike!
Getting back to the title of this post, I am right in the eye of the storm, with the first half being rugby and the back end being cycling. I don't know if I can call myself a rugger anymore or if I can officially call myself a cyclist yet- I'm kinda stuck in limbo right now. I'll have to let you know when I mentally make the switch in my brain. From here on out I'll be reporting on my cycling training and accomplishments/obstacles leading up to my first race next fall. Stay with me people!
No comments:
Post a Comment