Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Inn is Officially Full

Today our house officially maxed out its feline capacity with the addition of Flannery. Flannery is a transfer from another foster home and comes with some behavioral issues that will need correcting. She can be a bit of a handful, but I'm prepared to work with her to make her a loving, stable companion for some lucky person out there.

The first thing I noticed about her is how much energy she has! She adjusted to my room very quickly and was soon rubbing up on me and coming over for head scratches - even the most social cats need a day or two to warm up to a new environment. She'll live in my room for a few days and then be let out into the general population once its determined she will be OK with the rest of the brood. She needs some room to run around and burn off some of that energy.

Little Bear is out in the rest of the apartment and is still hiding out under furniture, but at least I've gotten her to start eating with the rest of the group by herself. LB will sometimes go eat out of Frankie or Nelson's bowl and that will upset everyone a bit, but she is slowly realizing that her bowl is just for her. I'm so glad I don't have to coax her to eat anymore. She still needs a lot of socialization so I hold her and rub her face and paws so get her to warm up a bit.

This week is going to be a bit hectic getting everyone situated in the house, but then it should settle down, I hope.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

has Flannery gotten lost in the crawl space yet like LB?

Fick said...

No, she is out and about, very social, but is being territorial about my room, thus we have tons of hissing right now.