Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Exit Summer Via Labor Day

The end of the long Labor Day weekend always marks the unofficial end to summer, although I like to be official and wait until September 21, 2008 before I start the happy dance. Why would I be happy summer is over? It means that FALL is almost here and I honestly believe you don't get much better than right now until the end of November.

Fall was and always will be the best time of year for rugby. Not too rainy, a nice chill keeps you from overheating whilst on the pitch, and a gorgeous backdrop of fall colors completes the scene perfectly. Sadly, I won't be taking part in it this fall and most likely anymore falls. Am I retired? Perhaps from 15s, without making any formal announcement, but I still plan on playing and organizing some killer 7s fun for next summer (start saving NOW). After 13 years of playing, administering, sacrificing, and putting my heart and soul into it, I need to step back and pursue other interests and refocus my energies on my relationships that are outside of rugby. My Rugby-Work-Life balance was always heavily skewed towards the rugby side of things and now it's time to skew it back in the other direction. My friends and family have always been amazingly supportive of me and my playing and now I want to be supportive of their endeavors in life. My younger sister, Katrina, is pregnant and my Mom needs surgery so I really want to be there for my family right now in any way possible. They've always been patient with me, even when I thought they were the ones being selfish for trying to schedule anything during my matches, when I think it was me being a bit selfish. It's nothing personal - I just want to do different things right now. I still love it and I still want to support my friends that play, by attending matches, fundraisers, and helping out in little ways, I just can't commit at the levels that I've previously have been committed.

So, what AM I going to do this fall? I want to take the Advanced Open Water training to compliment my current PADI dive certification, get my motorcycle license, spend more time with my family, and work, work, work some more. I also have an invitation to get away to Aruba in October and if I can find a flight that isn't 8 bajillion dollars, then I will be going. As exciting it is traveling up and down I-95 every weekend to play really tough rugby, I am going to have to decline. Good luck this season Philly Women!

2 comments:

cmoore said...

AND san francisco...maybe by motorcycle? etc.

Unknown said...

yeah! I was just chatting with Cookie about motorcycle licenses this past weekend. That's also something I have on my to-do-at-some-point list. :)