Friday, April 18, 2008

Tramping Around

No, it's not THAT kind of tramping around! I'm talkin' about hiking or trekking people, get yer minds out of the gutter...

I left Kiakora for the top of the south island, namely Picton. Most people stop in Picton for 2 reasons, first to catch the ferry to the north island or secondly to catch a ferry to the Queen Charlotte Track. I made plans to do a full day of hiking on the beginning part of the track as recommended by Annie and Paddy (remember them?). The weather was still miserable (cold, raw, rainy) so I was a bit concerned about the day ahead of me. Luckily the hostel had a considerable movie collection and I think most people had the same idea as me for the rest of the day - sit on our asses and bathe ourselves in the warm, loving glow of television. "Mother, teacher, secret lover" (Homer J. Simpson)

I woke up the next day and to my surprise, it was bright and sunny! I grabbed my day pack and merrily headed to the ferry that would take me to the start of the Queen Charlotte Track. The QCT is a very popular tramping route, usually taking 4 days to complete. What sets it apart from other multi day routes are the hiker amenities on the track, which are considerably nicer here than other tracks. Usually on other tracks, you have to book a basic wooden hut, but you provide everything - cooking essentials, sleeping bags, water, food, etc so to do some of these tramps were never an option for me since I have none of that crap, nor was I interested in hiking by myself for 4 days. I know people do it all the time by themselves, but I would be more comfortable doing it with at least 1 other person - safety first! For the QCT I opted to stay at a cozy place called the Mahana Lodge, again recommended by Annie and Paddy. Once I started the hike, it was bliss! Not many people or bikes on the trail, so it was just me, the wildlife, the wind and the water. I trekked for about 4.5 hours and made my way to the lodge and my tired, sweaty, and muddy self was cheerfully greeted by Ann and John, the owners of the lodge (and quite possibly the nicest people on Earth). It was only a bit more money than staying in a dorm room at a regular hostel so it was a lovely splurge after a tiring day. I shared a room with only 1 other person and there was a nice living room with wood stove, kitchen and NO TV, Internet or radio. Just books and puzzles to pass the time plus a great view of the sound. I splurged on myself some more and purchased a home cooked meal (made by Ann and John) and John even carried it up to my lodge on a tray - beef and mushrooms over rice, fresh salad from the garden and chocolate cake with fresh fruit from the orchard. Stick a fork in me, cuz I'm done!

The next day I took a kayak out for some exploring before I headed back to Picton. I wanted to stay another day, but they were totally booked out :( I really want to return there for another stay someday! It was now time to leave the south island, which was kinda sad since I enjoyed it so much. I packed up my stuff and headed to the small cruise ship-like ferry for my bon voyage to the south island! I did a lot of relaxing on the south island and I now think I need to do something that will get the blood flowing, possibly skydiving, paragliding or rafting. Decision, decisions...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Angie! I've been keeping up with your adventures and I thinks it all sounds great! I wish one of the decisions I had to make this week was between skydiving, paragliding and rafting!

Fick said...

I've chosen skydiving!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sweet! Try and go solo. You don't want to be strapped to some adreniline junky who will be pressed up against you while plummeting to earth. My advice, when they open the plane door don't wait for instructions, just run out the door screaming BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!