Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Final Thoughts on Oz

I can't believe six weeks have gone by so quickly and its time to move on again! It seems like yesterday that I was screwing up international time and missing my flight to Cairns and now I'm getting ready to leave for New Zealand (yes I have checked my flight time). I've covered a lot of ground in six weeks. Many people come here for months and only see the inside of bars so I'm glad I didn't get caught up in that scene and I have accomplished what I set out to do. Sadly I never made it to the Outback, but that will be saved up for a future adventure, anyone in? From swimming with sharks on the Great Barrier Reef to climbing the Harbour Bridge in Sydney, I've crossed a lot of my life's to-do list!

What have I learned or picked up in my time in Oz? Let's see, I've come to the conclusion that most Aussie TV sucks, but I love the supreme cheesiness of "So, You Think You Can Dance?" Seriously, I'll catch this every other week while I eat dinner in my hostel and its addictive. YouTube it if you can! The way they talk about dancing, you would think they are curing cancer or something. As far as slang goes, I've picked up some words, many of which my mother would not appreciate, and has been on the receiving end of laughs from many Aussies because I didn't know certain expressions. If you go Down Under and someone asks if you 'wanna cuppa?' they are asking if you want some coffee. I got picked on by Sean's friend Tim because I responded to his inquiry with 'a cup of what?' They all got a real kick out of it! I now call any rugby 'footy' and my first meal of the day is 'brekkie.' Speaking of meals, I've developed a fondness for beans and toast for brekkie, mostly from traveling with Brits at various points. It's cheap, filling and can be made easily in my hostel so I have it almost everyday! I've also developed a taste for some Aussie junk foods like Tim Tams, sweet chili and sour cream chips, Jungle Jellies (gummy candy) and the ever popular meat pie! I don't understand why the meat pie isn't more popular in the US - it's perfect! Sean's brother Anthony also had a traditional Aussie BBQ for 2 nights when I was in Sydney - steak, sausage, chicken, salad, wine and beer! No sides, just meat and veg. I also have a minor food obsession with fish & chips!

Lastly I'm going to miss the laid back Aussie lifestyle and attitude. It's just so, relaxed. Sigh. Farewell!

3 comments:

cmoore said...

Any vegemite/marmite yet? Two Aussie brothers opened a place in NYC that just sells hand pies. I don't know if it's doing well, but at least they're trickling up here!

Anonymous said...

I would kill for a VB. It has been since that time at Patty's apt over Sugar Mom's about 5 years ago:(

Fick said...

Vegamite scares me!!! Very weird substance.

I will try to bring some VB back with me, now that I know how hard it is to get in the US!