After the first heats, we were placed 25th out of 50 teams so that made us the #1 seed in our division (D I think). Soon we were lining up for our 2nd race and were informed all of the
boats finished within one or two seconds of each other in the standings so this would be a much close race. I paddled harder than I ever thought possible and it was so close during the race! when we finished we thought we came in second, but it was verified that we had won by a dragonhead! Yay! Unfortunately I was unable to stick around for the third and final race due to work (hello second job), so I said my goodbyes and proceeded to rollerblade back to my apartment in the hazy heat. Mancini later informed me via text that we ended up in 3rd and we got medals! It is officially the most valuable thing I own. It looks like an Olympic bronze medal!I woke up on Sunday absolutely exhausted from dragonboating, rollerblading and then working on my feet for 8 hours. I definitely bit off more than I could chew on Saturday so it only made sense to do my recovery at the beach. I proceeded to roll on down to Avalon with Pope, Jen, Eileen, and Marfisi and together we braved the hot and humid conditions for some lounging by
the waves reading trashy gossip magazines. Seriously, my brain was fried and it was the only thing I could handle intellectually. With snacks, sandwiches and magazines in hand, we relaxed and soaked up some rays, well maybe too many rays. Even with vigilant sunscreen application, we all managed to get a fair amount of sun. Eileen somehow managed to stay transparent and Marfisi's back looked like you could fry an egg on it, while Jen and Pope made marginal advancements in the evening out of their farmer's tans. Luckily I have a decent base from my travels so it mellowed into a nice golden color on me with little peeling, but my tummy was quite sensitive for awhile. I need to invest in some better sunscreen (any suggestions?).After a few hours of rest and relaxation, we headed over to Mike's Crab Shack in Sea Isle for some beers and food by the water before heading home. I got me some oysters and stone claw crabs and chased it down with some cold Amstel Light, while Pope found a new friend in Bud Light with Lime. I'm always suspect about any beer that requires fruit or fruit flavor to make it more palpable and this was no exeption. I ate way too much, but found room for ice cream before piling back into the car and heading back to Philly. A perfect day at the beach!
4 comments:
Dragon boating! I'm so jealous! Sore afterwards?
Let 'er run....
Yes, very sore, especially in my lats!
Bud Lite with Lime = Summer Drink '08!!
Post a Comment