Thursday, October 25, 2007

I'm Finally Doing It!

Yup, I'm finally going abroad! I've traveled all over the USA, mostly due to rugby and the mastering of the Friday night-Sunday night vacation, but in the last couple of years, I've had this itching to really get out there. I'm not talking a week or two someplace, but a few months of traveling. Insired by other friends travel experiences and my old roommates own overseas adventure, I decided that a down payment for a house can wait and a trip abroad is what I need instead.

Why now? Why not go when I graduated from college or take a summer when I was in college to do this sorta thing? The simple reason was that I didn't have any financial means to do so, since I kinda had to work to support myself. Lounging on a beach in Bali isn't very realistic when you are mac & cheese poor. There is no doubt in my mind that 'some day' I would take trips here and there and that 'some day' is now.

But surely I should be more responsible and invest my money more wisely, right? A fine argument for sure, but some experiences can't have a price tag placed on them. There is something about immersing yourself in the culture of others that aids in the understanding and tolerance of everyone. This solitary journey will allow me to explore my own thoughts without judgement and craft new awareness for the world around me.

Now I get to lay on the beach in Bali.

No comments: